Day Vision

Reading Everyday,Extending Vision

61100 Père Lachaise Cemetery

2023-02-28 04:18:59

The Père Lachaise Cemetery is the largest cemetery in Paris, covering 118 acres, with only a larger cemetery on the outskirts of Paris.

Image from Jianshu App

The Père Lachaise Cemetery is the largest cemetery in the city, covering 118 acres, with only the outskirts of the city offering larger cemeteries. The Père Lachaise Cemetery is one of the most famous cemeteries in the world, located in the 20th arrondissement. The mausoleum of celebrities who have been buried here for the past 200 years attracts one hundred thousand visitors a year. It is also a memorial to the five great wars.

So the question is, who is Father Lachaise?

The Père Lachaise Cemetery was named after Louis XIV of France's pious priest, who lived in a house that 1682 Jesus would rebuild on the site of a former chapel. The 1804 Paris bought the place and turned it into a cemetery.

Napoleon Bonaparte opened this cemetery.Since 1786, no cemeteries have been allowed in Paris, because cemeteries in the city at that time promoted the spread of diseases.As a result, several new cemeteries were established outside the city to replace the former cemeteries in the city.After the opening of the Père Lachaise cemetery, few people wanted to use it because of its distance from the city at that time.In order to change this situation, the municipality and the municipality have adopted a major information campaign.In 1804, the bodies of Jean de La Fontaine and Molière were reburied in a grand ceremony in the Père Lachaise cemetery.In 1817, the tombs of Peter Abelard and Eloise were also moved here in a grand ceremony.The campaign had the desired effect.Many wished to be buried with famous citizens.Historical records show that within a few years, the number of permanent burials in the Père Lachaise cemetery increased from a dozen to 33,000.Today, more than 300,000 people are buried here, and the ashes of many more who were cremated are displayed in the columbarium.

The Communards' Wall (Mur des Fédã © RÃ © S) was also in the Père Lachaise Cemetery, where the last 147 members of the Paris Commune were killed on 28 May 1871.